Backend developer (d/f/m)
Full Time (32-40h)
Django / Python
We are looking for an experienced EU-country-based backend developer to join our diverse software team.
Are you a collaborative and open-minded backend engineer on the lookout for your next tech challenge? Would you love to find a team where you can dedicate your skills to fight climate change and shape a more sustainable future?
We are a growing team at a sustainable tech startup developing solutions for a systemic change towards a circular economy. Our focus is in the textile industry, one of the biggest climate challenges. circular.fashion unifies an international team of fifteen people with interdisciplinary backgrounds of software engineering, textile, design, business and sustainability. This is a great role if you’re looking for a position where you can take leadership, work in a tightly-knit team, have ownership of your work, and create impactful products that make one of the world’s most polluting industries more sustainable. You will have many opportunities for learning and creativity as you design and deliver new products and make architectural decisions.
Your role & tasks
As a backend engineer, you will be working together with our product management, five other software developers (frontend and backend) and a UX/UI designer to further develop and scale our sustainable software solution. Your tasks will include:
- Conceptualizing and defining the software architecture:
- Writing maintainable and elegant code that’s easy to read and is well documented
- Testing the software you write for reliability and robustness
- Embracing feedback on your own code, and contributing to code reviews
- Working both independently and collaboratively
- Taking initiative to learn and develop your skills
Skills and experiences
- You like equally to understand the big picture as well as digging into detail and producing beautiful code
- Having experience in leadership and/or mentorship of software teams
- Having worked with agile development methodologies like SCRUM
- Experience with multiple programming languages, different kinds of infrastructure, MVC and other software engineering paradigms. Our current stack is Django/ Python with Vue.js, but as our future roadmap looks to be more distributed and API-centered, we’re also looking to technologies such as TypeScript and GraphQL.
- Experience designing API-first applications and general experience designing software architecture
- Experience with interdisciplinary work and bridging between the technical and non-technical sides of a team
- At least 4+ years experience as a backend developer
Nice to have
- DevOps experience, especially using modern deployment and infrastructure tools (e.g. Kubernetes) in a cloud based environment.
- Experience with data engineering and/or setting up data pipelines
- Experience or interest in the textile/garment industry
- Experience with RFID/NFC chips and readers and other related technologies (we work with digital identifiers as a part of our circularity.ID circular product passport)
- Being familiar with or interested in holacracy
This position is open as soon as you can start. Compensation is defined by a fully transparent growth and reward framework that our team designed collaboratively and is calculated by a formula that depends on a combination of experience, level of responsibility, and tenure at circular.fashion. From 2022 onwards, we will experiment with the four-day week and iterate between five and four-day weeks in three-monthly rhythms (with full pay during four-day periods).
The company is based in Berlin, where we also have an office in Kreuzberg that you can work from but we also have fully remote employees. We’re completely open for remote work, and this work can be performed by anyone in a timezone ranging between GMT+0 and GMT+2
Here are a few things that make us stand out as an organization:
Our team: You are surrounded by a highly motivated, collaborative and solutions-focused team.
Industry-leading: Closed loop recycling in the textile industry and Digital Product Passports are very new, but are going through massive growth and will have a huge positive impact. Having been in the space for several years, many of the things we do in-house also influence EU-wide and global policies and standards. We also collaborate with universities in developing cutting edge technologies for the circular economy such as the crtx.ai project, where we are developing a garment classification system via computer vision and material analysis spectroscopy for textile sorters.
Self-development: We’re a small but growing interdisciplinary team - we all wear many hats. There are plenty of opportunities for you to try on new responsibilities and there are loads of learning opportunities.
Interdisciplinary collaboration: We are open for everyone on the team to bring in skills and interests beyond their main role since we are convinced that interdisciplinary exchange brings out the best solutions.
If you are curious about getting to know us, please send us your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV.
Do not hesitate to apply even if you don't fill all qualifications. We look forward to receiving your application!
Your circular.fashion team